EU citizens

EU citizens (or citizens of Schengen Area – Norway, Iceland, Liechtenstein and Switzerland) do not need a visa or a permit to study in the Czech Republic; they only require a valid passport (or another equivalent ID) to do so.

Non-EU citizens

For full information about students’ visa application please see the website of the Ministry of Interior of the Czech Republic

Foreigners who are not citizens of the EU and who are studying or working in the Czech Republic are required to have a long-term visa or a long-term residence permit before arriving in the Czech Republic. Please note that you must be physically present in the country where you applied at the time the visa is issued in the passport.

Students coming for one semester only should apply for the Long-term visa for the purpose of study (visa “D”), while students coming for the whole year should apply for the Long-term residence permit for the purpose of study. The long-term study visa allows the holder to stay in the Czech Republic for up to 6 months, whereas the long-term residence permit allows for stays up to 1 year.

The application procedure for obtaining a visa for study purposes can take up to 60 days since the visa application has to be submitted to the local Czech Embassy. We recommend students read the information below carefully and start their application procedure immediately after receiving documents from our university.

The first document, the Letter of Acceptance, is intended for students and their home universities as a confirmation of the students´ acceptance into the CESP program.

The other two documents, written only in Czech, “Potvrzení o přijetí ke studiu” and “Doklad (potvrzení) o zajištění ubytování” are provided to students as the necessary documents for their visa application. The first on, which in English mean “Confirmation of a study,” states that the student will be studying at our university for a certain period. The second one, which in English means “Confirmation of an accommodation,” states that the student will have a place to live during their stay in the Czech Republic: the university dormitory. Students, who are not staying at our university dorms need confirmation of accommodation (Doklad o zajištění ubytování) from the landlord of the place where they are going to stay.

It is important is to contact the local Czech Embassy or Consulate for details on the visa application and read the instructions on filling in the application properly. Different Czech embassies can have different documents required.

In general, the filled-in application form must be accompanied by:

  • Potvrzení o přijetí ke studiu = confirmation of study and “Doklad (potvrzení) o zajištění ubytování= confirmation of an accommodation issued by the Czech university
  • A statement confirming that the applicant has financial resources to cover their stay in the Czech Republic – i.e. a confirmation of scholarship (if granted), or a statement from a bank where the minimum amount required is approx. 35 000 CZK (approx. 1,200 EUR) for each month in the country
  • Transcript from Register of Criminal Records verifying that the applicant has no criminal record
  • Travel medical insurance for an amount of at least 60,000 EUR, covering the territory of the Czech Republic
  • 2 passport-sized photos (45mm x 35mm)
  • A valid passport

Please consult your local Czech Embassy for details on the visa application and read the instructions on filling in the application properly. If you plan to travel in the Schengen area, make sure you apply for the correct type of visa.

If you are a non – EU student and you don’t stay in university dormitory, you will be obliged to register at the Foreign Police within 3 working days upon your arrival in Prague.

EU students staying outside the dormitory are obliged to register at the Foreign Police within 30 working days upon arrival in Prague.


Summer University

List of states whose citizens are required to have visa can be found here. For detailed information about short term visa required for the purpose of study please check this page of Ministry of Foreign Affairs.

Ministry of Foreign Affairs of the Czech Republic – General Visa Information